Tuesday 11 March 2014

S.A Andrée 2014




A few years ago, in 2009, my friend Magda Thorburn (then Szostak) arranged an exhibition called 'Halfway' at The Bunhouse in Peckham. For my piece I created a series of drawings inspired by S.A Andrées ill-fated polar expidition in 1887.

Bea Uusma recently came out with a book about the Andrée expedition called Expeditionen: en kärkelshistoria (The Expedition: a love story). It's one of the most interesting things I've read in a long time. You know when a book is so good that you have to go back and re-read the passage you've just read, just to make sure you didn't miss anything? That's what it's like. After finishing the book I decided I needed to redo my portrait of Andrée,  in the style I'm working now. This is what I ended up with.

You find my original drawing here: http://karinsoderquist.blogspot.se/2009/09/halfway-to-north-pole.html

No comments: